Pages


Welcome to my “other” blog! This blog will represent my other loves in the art world, along with cards. I will be posting my art journal and mixed-media projects. Other art that you will see will depict Steampunk, fantasy, Gothic, horror, anything that the word “alternative” encompasses. I hope you enjoy the ride with me!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

“Totally Happy…

…in my own backyard!” This is something any real Witch would say, right?


Good afternoon everyone! It’s Tuesday and I hope you had a great weekend and that your Monday is over.

I do apologize. I am very late with my posting for our next Poisoned Peas Please (PPP) Challenge. Doctor appointments and life got in the way. Those things tend to happen, as they should.  Challenge #6 started yesterday and will end on Sept. 8. The theme is “DARK” Fairy Tales. Remember how the original fairy tales really were written, not the Disney toned-down version? That’s what we want to see. You can create anything you want, be it ATCs, cards, mixed-media, altered art, fat books, journal pages, but it must have the theme of a “DARK” fairy tale.


Our sponsor for PPP’s #6 challenge is IKE’s Art. IKE designed some marvelous images for the PPP design team to use. These are not in IKE’s shop yet, but I bet if you check back periodically, they will soon be available. IKE is also offering a prize of a $10 gift certificate to her store, IKE’s Art, to the random winner.

I chose to create a collage of sorts in a shadow box. The finished project is very dimensional. My photos could not capture the true 3D effect. The main image is “Witch” designed by IKE. I love this image! This witch looks fabulous in her flowing gown, yet so cold with that stare. I first printed out the Witch image and over stamped and embossed with the fence and black bird rubber stamp. The fence was colored with Distress Markers. These were fussy cut. Next I colored another print of the same Witch image with Copics. This colored witch was then layered with foam tape on the top of the trimmed witch and fence/bird image. Then this layered image was layered on the top of my background with more foam tape.


Before I added the 3D finished images to my background image, I accented the gravestones background with dry brushing Distress Inks. After those inks were completely dry, I embossed the “Totally Happy” sentiment, then layered the background on red and eggplant cardstock. I did add embellishments with die cuts of grass and bats. These die cuts were highlighted with pearlized ink. The finished size of my mini wall art is 5” x 7”.

My list of supplies are:
Copics – skin: E50, E51, R20; hair: C3, C5, C7, C9; dress: R20, R22, R27, R89; colorless blender
Dies – Spellbinder’s Nested Bats, Cheery Lynn Design’s Grass Border
Rubber stamps – Ippity “Totally Happy”
Inks – Brilliance Pearlescent Purple and SU Black Craft
Embossing powder – SU black
Copic Spicas – Lavender and Lipstick
Distress Markers – Vintage Photo and Brushed Corduroy
Distress Inks – Frayed Burlap, Seedless Preserves, Scattered Straw, and Mustard Seed
Cardstock: SU Real Red, Elegant Eggplant, Basic Black


I am entering my Witch shadow box in:
Creative Stamp Friends – Stamp Scene
Haunted Design House – Hiding in the Corners
Make It Monday – Anything Goes
Craft a Scene – The Great Outdoors
  
After you have entered PPP’s “DARK” Fairy Tale challenge, head on over to The Crafter’s Café and join our Poisoned Peas Please Group. We would love it if you would post your little piece of art and show us your alternative side.

Thanks for stopping by! Contact me if you have any questions.
Aletha

16 comments:

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

Aletha, this is fabulous. Love all the little details you have added to make this gorgeous shadow box. I can appreciate the work that went into this with all that fussy cutting!! Thank you for sharing with us at MM @ HDH

mark gould said...

Beautifully made. The whole piece fits together perfectly. Don't envy the fussy cutting ;)
Thanks for playing with us at haunted design house.

jengd said...

Hmmm. When you said you see Totally Happy as a Halloween-type image too, I guess you really meant it! :) Looks great!

DonnaMundinger said...

Gorgeous shadow box! Love Ike's new images. Thanks for sharing with HDH. xxD

ike said...

Aletha this is so totally gorgeous. The whole scene is amazing and a brilliant idea to do a shadow box. The colouring on my Witch is outstanding. Marvelous creation. :-) xxxxxxx

ike said...

Oh yes, and Thank You for joining us at Haunted Design House this week :-D xx

Rhonda Miller said...

This is gorgeous. I saw it on Make it Monday.

brenda said...



Good morning Aletha,

The scene you have created here is so striking, the eye is drawn immediately to that red dress and then to the fabulous scene behind.

It's lovely to see you at Craft a Scene challenge this month, thanks so much joining in.

B x

Leigh S-B - The Sharpie Domino Queen said...

So very dark and twisty with so many details! Popped over from MIM for a closer look!

Leigh S-B
LeighSBDesigns.blogspot.com
DominoARTblog.blogspot.com
TCRSChalenge.blogspot.com - TCCC#3 Altered Dominoes

Sandy said...

Great work on your shadow box collage. A stunning image.
Thanks for linking up with MIM this week.
Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
Hugs,
Sandy :)

Andrea C said...

This is absolutely gorgeous work. I love the colouring on both images. Too cool. THanks for sharing with us at haunted design house xx

Melissa Czapor said...

WOW!!!! This is fabulous work!! I just love your coloring!!

I Don't Do Straight said...

Beautiful shadow box, you have done a FAB job with Ike's witch. Thanks for sharing with us at Haunted Design House this week :)

Kreatives von Andrea said...

Wonderful scene and Card! Your details and coloring are great.

Thanks for joining us at Creative Stamp Friends.

nice greeting from Andrea

NancyD said...

Creepy with great coloring. lol! Thank you for joining us this month at Craft a Scene. NancyD

Scrap Affair said...

Creepy yet interesting :) lol! Right up my valley!

Thank you for joining us this month at Craft a Scene
Nadia